We see a lot of these! After the excesses of Christmas and New Year, everyone would like a quick fix to undo the damage done.
The best thing you can do to detoxify the body is to cut out the toxins and let your body clear itself of the excesses already consumed.
OK, the best thing would be to not put your body under stress by applying moderation through the holidays… *she writes, eyeing her own personal family size tub of empty chocolates!
According to the science, the only type of detox diet that is worthwhile is one that limits processed, high-fat and sugary foods, and replaces them with more whole foods. So…
Help Your Body to Detox
- Grab those WHOLE VEGGIES – steam them, juice them, roast them, crudité them – just get them in your body!
- Grab those WHOLE FRUITS – snack on them, add to salads, smoothies… again, gorge yourself on them any way you want.
- Wash it all down with LOTS of WATER (and cut the sugary drinks).
- Eat lots of WHOLE GRAINS What’s a Whole Grain?
- Take Daily PROBIOTICS (eg: sauerkraut, dark chocolate, pickles… I’m totally addicted to pickles!) 17 Great Probiotic Foods for Better Gut Health
- Do some PHYSICAL ACTIVITY – Exercise of course helps the body to do its job (see “Part 4 – Modern Medicine is Catching Up” to read more about “Exercise: the Miracle Cure”) which is to keep you clean, clear and healthy on a cellular level. Get your WHOLE body moving – long walks, jumping jacks, sun salutations or try this “chair yoga” sequence:
And since we’re on the subject…
Ok, this one can sound a little bit gross but stay with me…
The intestines are processing all of that excess and if you feel a little sluggish, heavy or bloated, maybe try the following:
- Stand, sit – on a chair/on the loo if that’s more comfortable/useful – or lie down with the spine long. Take slow, deep breaths, filling the lungs.
- Close your eyes and visualise your digestive system. As you inhale the breath, take your awareness down the throat, into your stomach, through to the small intestine (that’s the long, thin one) and then the large intestine (the shorter, fatter one).
- Visualise that the intestines are not limited by your body and are able to unfurl and expand out around the room forming a perfect circle – our intestines are about 10x our height so you may need to visualise a bigger room, too – free from the twists and turns they must adhere to within the body.
- With each inhalation imagine the flow of energy moving freely through your digestive system…
Imagine Space… Imagine Ease… Imagine Health.
And don’t forget to do anything else that makes you feel awesome this month.
Health and Happiness go hand in hand.
Wishing you a fantastic year ahead!
Find out more about me here.
Originally written for and published on the Things 2 Do Marbella website January 2017.
Jeannette Amy (Nette) Hopkinson (BSc Hons Sports & Life Sciences) is a certified yoga teacher and Oneness Blessing Giver based in Andalucia. Follow her on IG @nettenirmalayoga or find her on facebook @NirmalaYogaSpain